Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Letters to Muffin (Part 3)

Mac sat down at the dining room table coffee cup in hand. It had been a long night at the police station. They had finally linked Jason and Sonny to the murder of a visiting mob boss and for once they had enough evidence to actually put them behind bars. And what should have been a great night for the town of Port Charles instead turned into Mac trying his damndest not to throttle Carly Corinthos Jacks…..or whatever the hell her name was this week. She demanded that both Sonny and Jason were innocent and wanted them released immediately. Needless to say in the end Carly ended up in her own nice cell when she accidentally let it slip that she had helped them. Breaking into a smile he sipped his coffee and noticed a book and an envelope sitting on the table. He put his cup down and opened the envelope and pulled out the letter.

Uncle Mac,

I have a feeling that you are reading this late at night after coming off another one of the long shifts you insist on working. It’s really bad for you; you really do need to take it easy. I’d like you to be around to help raise muffin and you can’t do that if you work yourself to death. Trust me I know this, I’m a doctor.

I bet you are wondering what the book and this note are about. Well you see Patrick gave me this journal to write down my thoughts on my pregnancy instead of doing the video blogs but I came up with a much better use for the journal. I want everyone who is important in my life, and will be important in my child’s life to write them a letter. And don’t worry no one but me and Patrick and our muffin will read these letters. Actually I want to read them to muffin after she/he is born. Kind of a way to get them used to the family.

So I’d really love it if you would honor us with writing a letter to your great-niece or nephew. After you are done you can drop it by my house or the hospital

So……put down the coffee I know you are drinking and go to bed, you can write your letter after you’ve had some sleep.

I love you Uncle Mac.

Love always and forever,

Robin.


Mac put the letter down and laughed at how well his niece knew him. But she was wrong about one thing; he wasn’t going to go to sleep. He was too wired to do that. Which was funny, he didn’t think men his aged still felt wired, but after the arrests he’d made tonight, he wasn’t quite ready to call it a night. So instead he took the journal and a pen and moved to his favorite spot, a chair on the patio outside and thought about what he wanted to tell the new edition to their family.


Dearest Baby,

Hi. I’m your great uncle Mac. I am your grandpa Robert’s brother and the man that had the distinct honor of raising your mother. You see your grandpa and grandma had to go away when your mom was 13 and left her in my care. I tried to live up to how I thought they wanted me to raise her, but I found out rather quickly that their way wasn’t the best way….but don’t tell them I said that. Anyways, much to my surprise it seems I didn’t do such a bad job with your mom. She grew up to be exactly what I hoped she would. She’s strong, independent and successful. All of the things that any father wants for his child.

You see for a while there we weren’t sure your mom was going to get all that. In fact on the day your mother found the courage to tell me that she was sick……I thought that all my dreams for her future were shattered. But they weren’t. You see your mom did what I knew she would do, she fought her disease. And while there is no cure for it, she battles it gracefully everyday and never shows signs that she has given up hope that one day it would be cured. Sure I know your mom is scared. She is scared that she won’t have enough time to be what you need her to be, but I know that whatever time she has with you, will make such an impact on your life. You should see the impact it made on your fathers.

When your parents met three years ago no one and I mean no one had any idea they would end up the way they are now. They are so in love, and so excited to be having you, even if it did take your father a while to get there, but he did. Which was good because I didn’t want to see your mother heartbroken again. You see I’ve seen your mother overcome some pretty hard things. The death of her parents, the death of her first love, the reappearance of her parents, the end of a relationship with someone who was never good enough for her, and then the three year push and pull relationship she had with your father. You see your mother is a fighter. She fights for what she believes in. It’s the one thing I truly believe that she got from me. And the one thing that I’ve noticed that she’s passed on to Georgie and Maxie. Georgie always fought for what she believed in, and I used to wonder where she got her strength from and it hit me one day it was from your mom. After everything that your mother has been through she always come out of it stronger.

Your mother has the greatest capacity to love. I’ve watched her put herself last as she cared of her dying boyfriend, I’ve watched her give her love again to a boy who didn’t understand the meaning of the word, and then I watched as she fell in love again after swearing that she wouldn’t. You see your mother moved away for a time and I knew that she buried herself in her work so that she wouldn’t have to put herself out there again, but she came back to help a friend, and met your father, and all of that changed. Y our father broke down her walls and got into her heart. You see your mother taught your father what it meant to truly love someone completely. And while they haven’t always seen eye to eye and have made their fair share of mistakes, mistakes that almost cost them being with each other, they both declared they wanted different things, but in the end they realized that they wanted the same thing. You. Well and each other.

You see you my dearest baby, are the thing that made both of your parents realize that what they had, what they threw away, was the love that both of them had been looking for. The forever kind of love. They have the kind of love that most people want and never achieve. And the best part of that is that you are going to learn that from them. You are going to see what real love is everyday of your life.

And if you learn nothing else from them learn that. Because without love in your life, then you have nothing.

When your mom first told me about you, I was worried. Worried about everything that could happen to you and your mother. Especially your mother, since she is sick…and I will let your parents tell you about that. But as I’ve watched you grow inside your mother, I know that she is doing everything humanly possible to make sure that both of you come out of this ok. And you both have to, because I’m not sure that I could take losing someone else that I love. I’ve already lost your Aunt Georgie, and I’m not sure that I will ever be ok with that…but I do know that I will never be 100% ok with losing your mother. She was my first child, the first person that I had to become responsible for and because of her I learned what unconditional love was.

I honestly hope that you are a girl. And the reason I say this is because I think it would be amazing to have a mini Robin, that’s your mom, running around. Might not make your father happy especially when dating is involved, but I think that a mini Robin is just what this family needs. Don’t get me wrong, I hope you look like your father too, but I’m very biased when it comes to Robin and I really would love to see a mini version of her. Especially since I know that you will be just like her in every way. Tiny, independent, courageous, strong, smart and beautiful.

But know this little one……we will love you no matter. Boy or girl you are going to be loved by many. You are just what this family needed, and in the words of your father, you are the love that holds this family together. And the proof of the love that your parents have for each other.

You were created out of love, accepted out of love and wholly wanted out of love.

I love you my great niece or nephew and I will always always be here to support you no matter what.

With all my love,

Uncle Mac.


Mac put the cap back on his pen and closed the journal. He didn’t want to re-read what he wrote because he was sure that if he did he’d just want to go back and change it…and he always told the girls to go with their first instinct, so tonight he was going with his. He smiled as he looked down at the journal sitting in his lap. He thought that this was one of the best ideas Robin had had where the baby was concerned. He was still worried about the fact that up until three weeks ago Robin was literally going to put he baby in a closet. But thankfully Patrick had talked her out of it and they had agreed to go looking for a house. They found one with a backyard that joined Mac’s. Mac would have sworn that Patrick would argue about that, not wanting to live close to any of their parents, but as it turned out Patrick picked the house saying he felt safer having Mac only a few feet away.

He shook his head as he stared across the yard at the dark house in front of him. The only light coming from his niece and someday nephew-in-law’s house was a light coming from one of the upstairs window and the security lights he’d installed around the outside of the house. He smiled as he realized that not only was Robin happy, but for once she was truly safe.

“I see you found the journal.” A half asleep Maxie said sitting down next to him.

“I did.” He told her. “What are you doing up?”

“The phone rang.” She told him. “The mayor was calling to congratulate you on your night.” She said. “I told him that you were asleep and I would let you know.”

“I wasn’t asleep.” He said looking at his daughter.

“I know, but I saw the porch light on and figured that you were out here writing your letter and I didn’t want to disturb you. The mayor said he understood.” She said as she turned to look out at the yard.

“Did you write your letter?”

“Yeah.” She said. “I did mine before yours. It was hard. I didn’t know what to say and most of all I wanted to talk about Georgie. It totally sucks that she will never get to meet muffin.”

“I know.” He said wrapping his arm around his daughter. “I know.” He said again as he kissed the top of her head. “But she will have you, me and Robin to help her know all about Georgie.”

“I know, but it’s not the same.” She said.

“I know.” He said again as he wrapped his arm around her tighter and once again stared out at the yard in front of him.


TBC……………..Next up Anna

2 comments:

firstlady42 July 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

Thank you for these "Letters to Muffin". I wait patiently for them and when I finally read them I am so moved by your writing and story telling. Every letter has truly captured that persons character and love for Robin. Once again a thank you for your time and creativity.

Lindag62 July 31, 2008 at 8:37 AM  

Just caught up with part 2 and 3 April, and again I luv this concept of yours. Fabulous as always, thank you for sharing.

Lg

Recent Posts

Popular Posts

Popular Posts Widget

Recent Comments

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP